VPR Cafe: Getting The Most Out Of Farmers Markets
Starting this week, outdoor farmers markets will begin popping up across the state. Before you head out to the market, here are five tips to help you master farmers market shopping:
- Take a tour around the market before you start shopping to see what's out there. Even if you've been to that market before, the vendors often change.
- Bring your own bags or baskets. Some vendors will provide bags but it's always good to come prepared!
- Come on an empty stomach. Often farmer stands will also have prepared food made from what they're selling at the market.
- Check out smaller farmers markets. These markets can offer a different selection and experience from going to a bigger market.
- Check the Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont for a full list of markets in the state. You might find a new farmers market taking place near you!
The VPR Café is made possible by Otter Creek Kitchenware in downtown Middlebury, offering over 70 lines of kitchenware.