Kids & Education
Vermont Public continues our partnership with Vermont Agency of Education and Vermont Department of Libraries to meet the anywhere, anytime educational, social and emotional needs of Vermont children.
"Science and Stories celebrates children’s natural joy of scientific discovery and wonder of nature through stories, songs and asking big questions about how our world works. Together we will practice using all of our senses to explore, play and learn about a different topic each day. Along the way children will build confidence in their ability to do science, math and engineering work and understand that STEM is for everyone!"
Elizabeth Nuckols, Group Programs Manager
ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain
Learn more about your community, country and world by doing the Good Citizen Challenge.
Vermont PBS and Agency of Education recommend
- Molly of Denali: Indigenous Cultural and Informational Text
- PBSLM: Creating a Caring Classroom Community
- PBSLM: Expanding the Narrative Using Media: A Planning Kit (All Grades).
- PBSLM: Find new SEL resources for your classroom (English/Spanish) with Alma’s Way (PreK-Grade 2)
- PBSLM: Media Literacy – Teaching Students to Critically Analyze Media: Empowering Young Media Consumers and Creators
For more info, contact:
Summer of Possibilities!
Support parents and caregivers this summer with curated resources they can use to spark everyday moments of learning and fun. Resources available through WIFI, interactive, or as printable resources included and noted.
The summer hub on PBS KIDS for Parents offers DIY activities, printables, games, and playtime suggestions; the summer collection on PBS LearningMedia offers PreK-5th grade teachers adaptable project ideas, fun science experiments, and a wide-range of “anytime” activities. Middle and High School Collections noted. Vermont flavor and connections here too!
Tools to Help You and Your Students Cope in Difficult Times
Difficult Times & Tough Talks - PBS LearningMedia Collection
Meet the Helpers - (Videos) Crisis Tips for Families and Caregivers
Just for Teachers!
As the nation navigates the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this film, A Trusted Space, and curriculum offers tools to mitigate the effects of grief, trauma, anxiety, and other emotional stressors affecting both students and teachers.
Social Emotional Learning
NEW Donkey Hodie (English/Spanish/WIFI or Print to Send Home)
- PBSLM Collection: Donkey Hodie
- Video & Activity Bundles (WIFI, Print to Send Home): Conversation Starters
- Summer fun: Web-based Games! Froyo Stand and Art Pals
- Crafts (Print to Send Home): Character Puppets
Storytelling Packet – BINGO, games, and more (Print to Send Home)
Find more at Summer Camp
Curiosity & Wonder
But Why Podcast – “Are Llamas Ticklish? And Other Silly Questions”
- Listen (WIFI/19 minutes)
- Learning Guide (PDF, Download, Print to Send Home)
Between the Lions Poem: Doggy Days and others (:40 seconds)
Summer of Possibilities Activity Book (PDF, Download)
Poetry and Music
Seasons of Change Poem: Seya’s Song (Interactive/WIFI)
In this online book from the International Children's Digital Library, a young American Indian describes the natural surroundings and activities of the S'Klallam, or Clallam, people through the seasons of the year. The book includes a glossary of S'Klallam words.
Lanston Hughs Jazz Poetry (Video/WIFI/Discussion)
Music and Pitch: STEAM Camp (Video/WIFI/Discussion)
A look ahead to summer: Come back in June to find local Vermont connections from VPR (on-air/online) who will share more about kid composers from Music-Comp!
Storytelling and Poetry
PBSLM Summer of Learning Collection
Poetry Everywhere Connection
- Essays, Videos, & Poetry Readings (WIFI/Download)
Vermont Connection! Clemmons Family Farm Storytelling Room (WIFI)
Poetry and Story Science
PBSLM Poetry in America Collection
- Video and Printable Activities (WIFI, Teacher Resource Download)
- Opportunities, Full Episodes, and Events
Vermont Connection! Brave Little State Podcast How has the geology of Vermont affected its character?
Ukrainian War - appropriate for grades PreK, K and Grades 1-5
But Why Podcast - Why is Russia Invading Ukraine?
How to talk to kids about war
- Meet the Helpers
- Common Sense Media
- News Sources for Kids from Common Sense Media
- NAMLE Parent’s Guide to Media Literacy
PBS Learning Media is offering context to unfolding events in Ukraine.
- For those looking to engage younger audiences around the Ukraine crisis, WVIZ/Ideastream’s NewsDepth program and KET’s News Quiz both have weekly news segments with timely updates for students in late elementary and middle school.
- PBS NewsHour Classroom has added a segment on the Ukrainian refugee crisis to PBS LearningMedia accompanied by classroom discussion questions for middle and high school students, and teachers can visit the PBS NewsHour Classroom collection to search for news segments covering the ongoing conflict in the region, including these segments from newscasts between December 2013 and March 2014.
- For additional context on the history of the region designed for classroom use, these PBS Learning Media oral history interviews and accompanying lesson plan from the NETA-distributed documentary Baba Babee Skazala: Grandmother Told Grandmother provide students with the opportunity to understand the history of Ukraine since World War II.
Vermont Public Podcasts
People-powered journalism. Brave Little State, a podcast where you ask the questions, you decide what VPR investigates, and then you work with us to find the answers. With connections to other PBS LearningMedia resources.
Join VPR Classical host James Stewart on a journey into the events, characters and concepts that shaped our Western musical tradition. We'll start at the very beginning and trace the steps of music through history. This music, and its history, is ours. With Learning Guides.
But Why is a show led by you, kids! You ask the questions and we find the answers. It’s a big interesting world out there. With Learning Guides.
One Small Step is an offshoot of StoryCorps, with a focus on connecting strangers who fall on opposite sides of a political divide. VPR is one of six stations nationally that have been selected to conduct One Small Step conversations in communities across Vermont.
Mister Chris and Friends videos
The latest videos from our popular Mister Chris and Friends series, are digital shorts that guide children and their families through special daily moments: waking up, brushing teeth, washing hands, cleaning up, and going to bed. This video shorts series welcomes Elephant, a new friend who joins Mister Chris for these activities. Each video has a new original song and features a peek into lives and routines in our community thanks to participation from viewers.
“Routine helps children process what they feel, see, touch and hear each day. Our hope is that these videos help little ones engage with five special everyday moments in a time when many of their routines have been disrupted,” said Chris Dorman. “And we hope our new friend, Elephant, helps families smile, giggle, and maybe even shed a joyful tear or two together.”
These videos are available to watch in the Routine Collection.
See vermontpublic.org/show/mister-chris-and-friends, where families can watch full episodes of seasons one and two!
Create a family tradition of learning with Friday night Family Night
Did you know that every Friday night on Kids Channel, Vermont Public highlights family favorite programs, during our weekly Friday Night Family Night starting 7:00 p.m.
Details and resources at pbs.org/parents/family-night
PBS Learning Media from Vermont Public
Bring the World to Your Classroom. Vermont Public offers curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators like you.
Create a free account and access a vast amount of lessons and topics from across PBS nationally.
From our Saving our Waters documentary, learn about water quality in Vermont lakes. Appropriate for Middle and High School.
From our Mister Chris and Friends series, browse various videos and interactive activities, suitable for Preschool to Grade 2.