Vermont canning pros on how to preserve peak summer produce
Live call-in discussion: Gardens are bursting right now with tomatoes, beans and other fresh produce. That means it's also canning season.
This hour, we'll be joined by people who have been canning for decades—some have even made a business of it. Not sure what to do with all those beets? Want to make jam yourself this year instead of facing the higher prices at the store? Our panel can help.
Our guests are:
- Emery Gray, chef and farm to table manager at Billings Farm and Museum in Woodstock
- Rachel Smith, owner of Pin Up Pickles in Bristol
- V Smiley, who runs the Minifactory restaurant in downtown Bristol where she serves (and produces) her V Smiley Preserves
Some recommended resources:
- "Better Homes and Gardens You Can Can: A Guide to Canning, Preserving, and Pickling"
- USDA's guide to canning
- Cornell Cooperative Extension canning information
- North Carolina State University Extension canning guide
Broadcast live at noon on Friday, Sept. 2, 2022.